Larry Bird Bio
Larry Joe Bird, born on 7 December 1956 in West Baden Springs, Indiana is an American professional basketball executive, former coach and former player. He is currently serving as president of the Indiana Pacers in the National Basketball Association (NBA).
Larry Bird was drafted into the NBA by the Boston Celtics in 1978. He played his whole professional career for Boston until he retired as a player in 1992. As a 12-time NBA All-Star, he was named the league’s Most Valuable Player (MVP) in 1984, 1985 and 1986. He was also a member of the United States men’s Olympic basketball team that won the gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics.
From 1997 to 2000 Larry Bird served as head coach of the Indiana Pacers. He was appointed as president of basketball operations for the Pacers in 2003 and held the position until he retired in 2012. In 2013 he announced his return to the Pacers as president of basketball operations.
Larry Bird Personal Details
- Born Name: Larry Joe Bird
- Age (in 2017): 61
- Date of Birth: December 7, 1956
- Birthplace: West Baden Springs, Indiana, United States
- Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
- Occupation: Sport, Basketball Player (Retired)
- Net worth: 45 Million
- Official Website: –
- Official Twitter: @larrybird
Larry Bird Family Tree
- Wife name: Janet Condra (Divorced)
- Wife name: Dinah Mattingly
- Boy: Conner Bird (Adopted)
- Daughter: Mariah Bird (Adopted)
- Daughter: Corrie Bird
- Father name: Claude Joseph “Joe” Bird
- Mother name: Georgia Bird (née Kerns)
- Brother: Mike Bird
- Brother: Mark Bird
- Brother: Jeff Bird
- Brother: Eddie Bird
- Sister: Linda Bird
Larry Bird Relationship History
Below is the relationship and dating history for Larry Bird with his past and current girlfriend details.
Larry Bird dated:
- Janet Condra (1975-October 1976) – Larry Bird married Janet Condra. They have one child together.
- Dinah Mattingly (1989-PRESENT) – Larry Bird married Dinah Mattingly in 1989. They adopted two children together.
Larry Bird Body Measurements, Weight Loss, Diet and Exercise Routine
Larry Bird Body Measurements
- Height in Feet: 6′ 9″
- Height in Centimeters: 206 cm
- Weight in Pounds: 220 pounds
- Weight in Kilogram: 100 kg
Larry Bird has always been a runner and ran constantly while playing for the Boston Celtics. However, due to issues with his back, he can’t run on the street anymore. Instead, he runs on an underwater treadmill at about 6.3 mph – four times a week for 48 minutes.
Larry Bird Fun Facts
Larry Bird Quotes
“Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It’s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That’s the only way you’re going to get respect from the players.”
“I’ve got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.”
“I wasn’t real quick, and I wasn’t real strong. Some guys will just take off and it’s like, whoa. So I beat them with my mind and my fundamentals.”
Larry Bird Interesting Facts
- He is the only person in NBA history to be named Most Valuable Player, Executive of the Year and Coach of the Year.
- He grew up in poverty.
- His father was an alcoholic, who committed suicide when Larry Bird was 18 years old.
- He dropped out of college and took a job with the city as a garbage man.
- His rivalry with Magic Johnson was made into a documentary and a Broadway play.
- During his professional career as a basketball player, he won three NBA championships and two NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (MVP) awards.