John Goodman Bio
John Stephen Goodman, on born 20 June 1952 in Affton, Missouri, is an American actor and voice actor – best known for playing Dan Conner alongside Roseanne Barr on the ABC TV series Roseanne (1988–1997).
When he was two years old, his father died of a heart attack. John Goodman is of English, German, Irish, and Welsh ancestry.
He went to Affton High School, where he played football and dabbled in theater. He earned a football scholarship to Missouri State University (then-called Southwest Missouri State University) in Springfield, Missouri, but an injury ended his college football career. After the injury, Goodman changed his major to drama, and he graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1975.
After John Goodman left Missouri for New York City in 1975, he found modest success in voice-overs, commercials and plays. He eventually performed off-Broadway and in dinner theatres, before landing la string of TV and film appearances in the 1980s.
More recently, he has continued his on-screen career by appearing in films such as Monsters, Inc. (2001), Argo (2012) and The Monuments Men (2014).
John Goodman Personal Details
- Born Name: John Stephen Goodman
- Age (in 2017): 65
- Date of Birth: June 20, 1952
- Birthplace: Affton, Missouri, United States
- Zodiac Sign: Gemini
- Occupation: Actor
- Net worth: 65 Million
- Official Website: –
- Official Twitter: –
John Goodman Family Tree
- Wife name: Annabeth Hartzog
- Daughter: Molly Evangeline Goodman
- Father name: Leslie Francis Goodman (Deceased)
- Mother name: Virginia Roos (née Loosmore)
- Brother: Leslie
- Sister: Elisabeth
John Goodman Relationship History
Below is the relationship and dating history for John Goodman with his past and current girlfriend details.
John Goodman dated:
- Annabeth Hartzog (1988-PRESENT) – John Goodman met Annabeth Hartzog in New Orleans while filming Everybody’s All-American. A year later, the couple got married on 27 October 1989. They have been married for 27 years, and are longtime residents of New Orleans, Louisiana.
John Goodman Body Measurements, Weight Loss, Diet and Exercise Routine
John Goodman Body Measurements
- Height in Feet: 6′ 2″
- Height in Centimeters: 188 cm
- Weight in Pounds: 400 pounds (heaviest)
- Weight in Kilogram: 181 kg (heaviest)
Diet and Exercise Plan
John Goodman has cut sugar from his diet and works out six days a week. He also stopped drinking.
At the premiers for his movie, 10 Cloverfield Lane, in March 2016 it was evident that John Goodman was looking far less overweight than he did when filming started. It’s been estimated that Goodman has lost 100 pounds (45.4 kg).
How did John Goodman Lose Weight?
According to John Goodman, he accomplished his weight loss by simply limiting the amount of times he would eat during the day, and also the portion sizes of meals.
Weight Loss Before and After
At his heaviest, Goodman weighed close to 400 pounds (181.4 kg). After losing over 100 pounds, he gained a lot of weight back, but has been losing weight yet again.
Weight Loss Plan
John Goodman decided to pace himself by taking it slow. He lost the weight in a year and a half.
While at home, he uses an elliptical and he often does stomach crunches. He also tries to walk between 10,000 and 12,000 steps per day.
He follows a Mediterranean-style eating plan – focusing on eating fish, olive oil, vegetables and fruit. A Mediterranean diet consists of olive oil, avocados, nuts and foods high in unsaturated fats, as well as salads, spinach, celery and other vegetables.
John Goodman Fun Facts
John Goodman Career Highlights & Awards
- 1989 & 1990 – American Comedy Awards: Funniest Male Performer in a TV Series (Leading Role) Network, Cable or Syndication (Roseanne)
- 1992 – Viewers For Quality Television Awards: Best Actor in a Quality Comedy Series (Roseanne)
- 1993 – Golden Globe Awards: Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series – Comedy/Musical (Roseanne)
- 2002 – World Soundtrack Awards: Best Original Song Written for a Film (Monsters, Inc.)
- 2007 – Emmy Awards: Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip)
- 2008 – TV Land Awards: Innovator (Roseanne)
- 2012 – 20/20 Awards: Best Supporting Actor (Barton Fink)
- 2013 – Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture (Argo)
- 2013 – Disney Legend Award: Animation (voice) (Monsters University)
- 2014 – Satellite Awards: Best Actor – Television Series, Musical or Comedy (Alpha House)
John Goodman Quotes
“I don’t know how much the old Jackie Daniel’s franchise ruined my memory, which is going anyway, because of my advancing decrepitude. I had a 30-year run, and at the end I didn’t care about anything. I was just fed up with myself. I didn’t even want to be an actor anymore.”
“I mean, there are many times I could have gone under. Not overdosed, but…well…misadventure.”
John Goodman Interesting Facts
- He regularly supports charity. Since Hurricane Katrina, Goodman has appeared on several recovery commercials aired in Louisiana.
- He has battled alcoholism in the past, but finally sobered-up in 2007.
- Before his career took off, he worked as a bartender and waiter in Manhattan, New York.