James Brown Bio
James Joseph Brown, born on 3 May 1933 in Barnwell, South Carolina, was an American singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer and bandleader. James Brown died, at the age of 73, on 25 December 2006 in Atlanta, Georgia from congestive heart failure due to complications from pneumonia.
James Brown started his career as a gospel singer in Toccoa, Georgia. He rose to prominence in the late 1950s as a member of the singing group The Famous Flames. His success peaked with the release of the live album Live at the Apollo in 1963.
Referred to as the Godfather of Soul, James Brown was the creator of funk music and a key figure of 20th-century popular music and dance. In a career that spanned six decades, he has received honors from several institutions, including inductions into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
James Brown Personal Details
- Born Name: James Joseph Brown
- Age: Died December 25, 2006 at the age of 73
- Date of Birth: May 3, 1933
- Birthplace: Barnwell, South Carolina, United States
- Zodiac Sign: Taurus
- Occupation: Singer
- Net worth: 100 Million
- Official Website: http://www.jamesbrown.com/
- Official Twitter: @jamesjamesbrown
James Brown Family Tree
- Wife name: Velma Warren (Divorced)
- Wife name: Deidre Jenkins (Divorced)
- Wife name: Adrienne Lois Rodriguez (Divorced)
- Wife name: Tomi Rae Hynie
- Boy: Teddy Brown
- Boy: Terry Brown
- Boy: Larry Brown
- Boy: Daryl Brown
- Boy: James Joseph Brown II
- Daughter: Lisa Brown
- Daughter: Yamma Noyola Brown Lumar
- Daughter: Deanna Brown Thomas
- Daughter: Venisha Brown
- Daughter: LaRhonda Pettit
- Father name: Joseph “Joe” Gardner Brown
- Mother name: Susie Brown (née Behling)
James Brown Relationship History
Below is the relationship and dating history for James Brown with his past and current girlfriend details.
James Brown dated:
- Yvonne Fair – James Brown dated American singer Yvonne Fair. They had one child together.
- Kellie Everts – James Brown had an encounter with American bodybuilder Kellie Everts.
- Bea Ford – James Brown dated Bea Ford. They had one child together.
- Candice Hurst – James Brown had an encounter with American singer Candice Hurst.
- Velma Warren (1953-1969) – James Brown married Velma Warren on 19 June 1953. They had three children together. After their divorce was finalized in 1969, they remained close friends until James Brown’s death.
- Tammi Terrell (1962-1964) – James Brown dated American singer Tammi Terrell.
- Deidre Jenkins (1969-January 1981) – James Brown married Deidre Jenkins on 22 October 1970. They had two children together. The couple separated in 1979, and their divorce was finalized in January 1981.
- Adrienne Lois Rodriguez (1984-1996) – James Brown married Adrienne Lois Rodriguez in 1984. Their marriage made headlines due to domestic abuse complaints. Adrienne Lois Rodriguez died in January 1996.
- Tomi Rae Hynie (2000-January 2004) – James Brown married his backup singer Tomi Rae Hynie on 23 December 2002, but it was later found that their marriage was not valid due to the fact that Tomi Rae Hynie was already married when she married James Brown. They had one child together. James Brown announced the couple’s separation in a full-page public notice in Variety.
James Brown Body Measurements, Weight Loss, Diet and Exercise Routine
James Brown Body Measurements
- Height in Feet: 5′ 6″
- Height in Centimeters: 168 cm
- Weight in Pounds: – pounds
- Weight in Kilogram: – kg
James Brown Fun Facts
James Brown Quotes
“When I’m on stage, I’m trying to do one thing: bring people joy. Just like church does. People don’t go to church to find trouble; they go there to lose it.”
“I think the best thing about being James Brown is looking at my little son. Hopefully I can make my son a role model to a lot of people.”
“The hardest thing about being James Brown is I have to live. I don’t have no down time.”
James Brown Interesting Facts
- When he was young he wanted to play professional baseball and be a professional boxer.
- He dropped out of school when he was 15 years old.
- He had his eyebrows tattooed in 1991.
- He was a lifelong Republican, who campaigned for Richard Nixon and made fundraising appearances for the GOP.
- He could not read sheet music.
- He went to jail for a high-speed car chase in Georgia.
- He was hospitalized for his addiction to painkillers in 1998.
- He suffered from diabetes, and overcame a battle with prostate cancer.
- His last words were: “I’m going away tonight.”
- He was laid to rest in a 24-karat-gold coffin.