Ashanti Shequoiya Douglas (known mononymously as Ashanti), born on 13 October 1980 in Glen Cove, New York, is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer and actress. She started her career by taking dance lessons and joining the church choir when she was growing up.
Ashanti was discovered by P. Diddy, but did not release any albums under his record label, Bad Boy Records, due to complications with her contract. After two more fruitless record deals with Jive Records and Epic Records, she finally released her self-titled debut album, Ashanti, on Murder Inc. record label in April 2002. The record received acclaim, and she has since released four more studio albums. Her sixth studio album is due to be released in 2017.
Ashanti began her acting career as a child extra in Spike Lee’s Malcolm X (1992). In January 2005, she made her feature film acting debut in the movie Coach Carter.
Ashanti Personal Details
- Born Name: Ashanti Shequoiya Douglas
- Age (in 2017): 37
- Date of Birth: October 13, 1980
- Birthplace: Glen Cove, New York, United States
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Occupation: Singer, Songwriter
- Net worth: 40 Million
- Official Website: http://ashantithisisme.com/
- Official Twitter: @ashanti
Ashanti Family Tree
- Husband name: Not married
- No children
- Father name: Ken-Kaide Thomas Douglas
- Mother name: Tina Douglas
- Sister: Kenashia Douglas
Ashanti Relationship History
Below is the relationship and dating history for Ashanti with her past and current boyfriend details.
- Nelly (January 2003-April 2014) – Ashanti met rapper Nelly at a press conference for the Grammy Awards. The couple had an on/off relationship for years.
- Chink Santana (July 2003-September 2005) – Ashanti dated is American R&B musician and producer Chink Santana, who co-produced her first two studio albums.
- DeSean Jackson (June 2013-January 2015) – DeSean Jackson is an American football player.
- Darnell Dockett (February 2015-January 2016) – Darnell Dockett is an American football player.
Ashanti Body Measurements, Weight Loss, Diet and Exercise Routine
Ashanti Body Measurements
- Height in Feet: 5′ 3″
- Height in Centimeters: 160 cm
- Weight in Pounds: 112 pounds
- Weight in Kilogram: 51 kg
- Body Measurements in Inches: 30-23-33 inches
- Body Measurements in Centimeters: 76-58-84 cm
- Bra Size: 34B
- Cup Size: B
Ashanti struggles with yo-yo weight loss, but she recently lost 8 pounds (4 kg). According to her, the weight loss is the result of colonics, squats and portion control (correlating serving size with calories). She also cut out friend foods and her favorite guilty pleasure, ice cream.
A part of her weight loss is attributed to the Mater Cleanse Lemonade Diet. The diet involves abstaining from food for 10 days, while drinking lemon-pepper-maple syrup consisting of water and cayenne pepper. This liquid diet supposedly removes harmful toxins from the body, and reduces food cravings. Ashanti followed the diet for 7 days, and cheated by eating fruit whenever she felt hungry.
Ashanti works out several times a week, 30 to 50 minutes a day. She has a gym in her house, and does weights, cardio and running with her trainer. Her exercise routine also includes dance classes, biking and boxing.
Ashanti Fun Facts
“I think my motto is to always remain focused on what it is that you’re trying to accomplish.”
“I have always been able to write on the spot. It is a talent that I guess comes naturally.”